I have a confession to make. I did not get my Snowballs in May quilt done in time to take to my grandson as I originally planned. I decided instead of rushing through it I wanted to take my time and do some quilting inside the snowballs that was a little more detailed. The quilting is not fancy or complicated, just a little time-consuming.
But I finally got it done in time for him to get it tomorrow! My daughter and the two grand kids are passing through on their way to visit some other relatives. So I’ll get them for one day, but that’s better than none!
I also tried a new (to me) binding technique that for some reason confused me when looking at various tutorials or videos. I don’t know why I was too intimidated to try it before, but by paying close attention and doing things step-by-step, I accomplished joining my starting and ending strips on a diagonal eliminating the bulk I would get by making a “sleeve” and tucking the ends in. Here’s a link to a written tutorial I found very helpful and here’s a link to a video if you haven’t tried that technique yet. Be very careful that you aren’t twisting your ends in the wrong directions before sewing!
Here’s the front and back of the finished quilt. As mentioned in my previous post I took the leftover triangles from cutting off the ends of my “Snowballs”, sewed them into half-square triangles, then made pinwheels for the front and a chevron strip for the back and ended up with this:
Using painters tape, I laid out some guidelines to make hexagon shapes in the center of some of the snowballs, and straight lines on the diagonal for others. I would line up the outer edge of the tape with a sewn line then sew along the inner edge:
For the diagonal lines I just ran one piece of tape from one corner to the opposite corner and after sewing a line, moved it to the next corner, etc. ending up with pie shapes:
For the middle pinwheel section, I made squares, rectangles, X’s, etc., again using painters tape as my guide lines where needed:
All the rest of the quilting was stitching in the ditch (which I did first to stabilize everything) and then sewing additional straight lines in the sashing by placing the edge of my walking foot along a sewn seam as a guide. So again, the quilting was easy from the standpoint of using all straight lines.
Because I usually don’t have a plan for my quilting completely thought out in advance, I tend not to mark up my quilt before starting quilting. So using painters tape that I can just pick up and move as needed works fine for me. It loses it’s stickiness after a number of moves, so you just grab another piece as needed as you go along.
I hope this gives you some ideas on how to straight line quilt for some interesting results.