Quilt in Progress – Retro Springtime

Long time no posts!  I let life get in the way of updating my blog and I apologize to anyone following.  Changes at work, planning a wedding for my daughter, no quilting time, etc., etc….

So I finally picked up where I left off on this fun quilt project.  It is not done but it will be soon (hopefully).  I call this Retro Springtime.  It all began with a jelly roll of 1930’s print reproductions, 1933 Chloe’s Closet by Moda, and a solid white Bella jelly roll.  I decided to design something similar to a stacked coin quilt.  Here was my thought process:

I picked out four strips from the Moda jelly roll that I thought complemented each other but also contrasted in value (darks and lights), then sewed them together along each long side with a 1/4″ seam.  Then I sub-cut each 4 strip set into 5 – 2.5″ wide sections (the “blocks” are 2.5″ wide by 8.5″ long) and 5 – 6″ inch wide sections ( the “blocks” are 6″ wide by 8.5″ long).  This leaves you with very little waste.

Retro Springtime 4 Strips Reto Springtime Cutting Sections

I continued to match up and sew together sets of 4 strips (ended up with a total of 10 – 4 strip sets) and sub-cut each set into “blocks” as above.  Now the fun begins!

I then picked out 8 different 6″ wide blocks that I thought would look good together and began sewing them end to end, with a 1/4″ seam, to form one long strip.  I did the same with the 2.5″ wide blocks.

Reto Springtime Strips

I continued to mix and match then sew together, end to end, sets of 8 – 6″ blocks, and 8 – 2.5″ blocks until I had 6 long strips 6″ wide x 64″ long, and 4 long strips 2.5″ wide x 64″ long.  The plan was to sew one white solid 2.5″ strip between each of the print strips (using a 1/4″ seam).  So now I just had to put each strip on my design wall and decide what king of striped pattern was pleasing to me. (I had some left-over 2.5″ blocks that I’ll probably use on the back).

I ended up with this arrangement:

Retro Springtime Design

As you can see I don’t have all of the white strips sewn in yet, but this is going to be what I call a structured, scrappy look :).  It was a fairly quick process to get it all together.  I just tried to make sure I did not sew things together in a manner that had the exact same prints next to each other.   I haven’t decided what kind of border to put around it yet, but I’ll be sure to post more when this is complete.

I’ll try not to stay away so long!  Thanks for reading.

Comments Welcome

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s